The use of ear candles has its historic roots in Asia and can be traced back to the native Indians of North and South America. The Hopi Indians of North East Arizona, the oldest Pueblo tribe, are responsible for bringing the knowledge of the ear candle treatment to Europe. It is widely believed that the treatment was performed as a spiritual cleansing by the Indians before meditation.
At Healthy Mind Body and Sole only top quality Biosun candles, which contain a filter, are used which comprise beeswax, honey extract, traditional Indian herbs and essential oils.
- Relieves stress
- Relaxes and calms
- Creates a balanced feeling
- Helps to clear the mind and improve concentration
During a treatment, the lymphatic system is stimulated, it also oxygenates the blood causing nutrients to travel to areas that may require healing. The heat that is produced stimulates circulation to the head and neck. The following conditions may be helped with this treatment:
- Sinus Congestion
- Colds and flu
- Sore throats
- Excessive ear wax
- Ear ache
- Lymphatic congestion
- Glue ear
- Headaches and migraine
- Allergy symptoms/ Hayfever
- Hearing difficulties
- Pain or pressure due to flying
What to expect during a treatment
Clients lie on their side fully clothed on a treatment couch, a candle (hollow tubed) is placed in the ear and then lit, the treatment is painless and people generally report it to be pleasant and relaxing. When one ear is treated, the client then lies on the other side while the other ear is treated. The treatment ends with a lymphatic facial massage. The treatment lasts approximately 40 minutes.
How does the treatment work?
There are two ways the healing properties work.
- The vibration caused by the rising air column and the pressure inside the ear candle helps to massage the ear drum which promotes secretion in the frontal and paranasal sinuses. This will regulate air pressure. A light soothing sensation in the ear and head area are often felt by the client.
- The warmth caused by above stimuates vascularisation, which helps to invigorate the immune system and gently stimulate the flow of lymph. The facial massage which is performed at the end also stimulates acupuncture points and reflex zones.
Hopi Candles and Reflexology
To increase the benefits of the ear candling treatment, particularly for sinus problems, a combined Hopi Ear Candle and Reflexology treatment is recommended. Please see Prices page for details.